Sunday, January 20, 2013

Martin Luther King Day!

Happy Martin Luther King Day! Happy Inauguration Day!

As I got my 5 and 6 year old ready for bed tonight my son asked me if we still had no school on Monday.  I told him yes, but than asked him if he knew why.  Parker quickly told me that "its Martin Luther King Day", and he reminded me he had colored a picture of him hanging on our door.  I then asked do you know why we celebrate that day?  He and quickly answered "yeah, he was a man that got shot with a gun and died and its his birthday".

At this point as a Mom I was thinking OH NO he missed a big chunk....and decided that now we needed to sit down so he would understand what the day really meant. My next question (which I assumed I'd be answering), after reassuring him his answer was correct was "do you know why those people killed him?" Now my 1st grader is excitedly going "I know", but I waved off her answer wanting to hear from Parker.

What happened next, made me so proud. "Oh yeah!" says Parker, "they didn't like him because he thought that black and white people and everyone else should get to use the same rules AND they should, Night."  Now Sara Beth, who is now in the other room can't hold it in any longer and yells "he called it His Dream!"

So as we go about our day tomorrow, I will be thinking all day that I'm thankful that my kids have amazing teachers, because really an answer like that from a Kinder student is amazing!  I'm a proud Momma!  So hug your kids, and THANK a Teacher today!
School Rocks! B1396

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather! Leave it to a child to reduce things to the simplest of facts - we should all have the same rules! Give all those kids a hug & have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment!